The cannon aboard the AMS 60 Bernisse
The journey from the cannon to Hellevoetsluis  

No guns were present when the ship was purchased from the Belgian navy.
The cannon, a Bofors 40 mm Mark 4, was purchased from a farmer from England.
He had it on his land and was left there after the Second World War.
This cannon was then picked up by a few men with a trailer.
During the ride, many were stopped by the police for checks, but after showing the correct permits, they were allowed to continue driving. Was then placed on the deck with the help of a crane.
 

History of the Bofor 40 mm

The Bofors 40mm L / 60 gun or Bofors 40L60 is a fully automatic anti-aircraft gun.
It was introduced to the Swedish army in 1931 and was further deployed in more than 20 countries. Many countries have licensed the cannon into production and it was deployed on a large scale during the Second World War.

The shells have a weight of approximately 1 kilogram, small deviations are possible depending on the type and function. The elevation of the loop is between -5 and 90 degrees.
The cannon had a maximum range of about 4500 meters, but it was effective against aircraft at an altitude of 2500 meters.

Technical information

Type Air Target Gun

Action rapid-fire cannon

Country of origin Sweden

Production history

Designer Bofors

Designed1928

Producer Bofors SA

Specifications

Weight: 2400kg (flare nozzle)

Length: 2.5 m (barrel)

Crew: 4-6

Pattern: HE, AP

Caliber: 40 mm

Rate of fire: 120 shots / min.

Projectile speed: 850 m / s.

Effective range: 2500m (effective)

Maximum range: 4500m